The perfect summer time salad/appetizer. All the ingredients are in abundance this time of year and meld together perfectly. The classic salad consists of only 6 ingredients but does not include balsamic vinegar- one of the ingredients that most people associate with the salad. Other variations include this vinegar as well as sweet or red onions. Below is the most traditional recipe but if you like the vinegar or onions then you should use them.
- 8 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt, preferably sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper