It is cool outside today. All I want to do is snuggle up with a good book and smell the scents of some comfort food baking in the oven. This chicken casserole is just the recipe for such a day. Originally from my Aunt Gloria, this recipe is special because of its cheesy, crunchy, creamy aspects.
Cheesy from the cup of cheddar cheese.
Crunchy from the celery, water chestnuts, and almonds.
Creamy from the mayo, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup.
Crunchy ingredients below…
Who can resist these traits? Not me! This is my go to recipe when I have no idea what to fix. I always have these ingredients because they are staples in many recipes. If you dont have the time to cook chicken, just pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery.
Comforting Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese (sometimes I like to use more)
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced or chopped
- Ritz crackers for topping, crushed