A couple of days ago a friend mentioned having some delicious white chicken chili. Up until that point I had forgotten about this recipe. Normally when I want chili, I just make regular chili. Today I was wanting something different.
This recipe is originally from a Family Circle magazine. According to the publishers, this recipe has only 330 calories per serving with the added bonus of being high in fiber (9g) and protein (33g). If you use low sodium broth and rinse the beans, you will significantly decreased the amount of sodium in the recipe. I love healthy and filling recipes that taste fantastic!
White Chicken Chili
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs (I used breast)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14oz) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
- 2 cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pkg (10oz) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese, for garnish
Place chicken in slow cooker and top with onion. In blender combine broth, salsa, and 1 can of beans (remember it is drained and rinsed). Puree until smooth. Add to slow cooker along with cumin and black pepper. Cover and cook for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Uncover and remove chicken; allow to cool enough to shred without burning yourself. Stir in corn, remaining can of beans (still drained and rinsed), and cilantro. Shred chicken and add back to cooker. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Serves 8.