This is the weather trend in Kentucky as of late….
Time for vegetable soup!! Vegetable soup is fantastic for several reasons- 1) vegetables are awesome, 2) vegetable soup is healthy, 3) it cleans out the fridge, 4) a whole pot makes enough for the week. Of course, there are many other reasons, but these four are enough to justify making this soup!
I use breakfast sausage in my vegetable soup. I think that it gives the soup an extra pizzazz. Of course, if you want vegetarian vegetable soup, leave it out.
- 1 roll of breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 8 baby carrots, sliced
- 1 can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small cans of mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 large bottle of tomato juice
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, brown the breakfast sausage. About half way through the browning process, add the onion and garlic. When browned all the way, drain the grease off on paper towels. In the soup pot, add the celery, carrots, beans, mushrooms, okra, sausage mixture, bay leaves, and tomato juice. Season to taste. Simmer until the carrots and celery are tender. Makes 8 servings.