I don’t remember how I came across Korena In the Kitchen’s recipe. It looks so fantastic and I just had to try it, even though I didn’t have all the ingredients she used. One day I will make the pizza, ingredient for ingredient. Until then, this version was very satisfying.
Roasted Mushroom Pesto Pizza
For the pesto:
- 5 ounces baby portabellos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 ounce dried shiitake mushroom
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp shallot, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the toppings:
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup oven roasted tomatoes
- Desired amount of Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses (Korena used fontina.)
Place the 5 ounces of mushrooms on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil; salt and pepper as desired. Bake mushrooms for 5 minutes at 450 degrees. Add the smashed garlic to the mushrooms and bake another 5 minutes.
While the mushrooms are roasting, soak the shiitakes in the boiling water.
In a food processor, add the roasted mushrooms, soaked mushrooms and their water, parsley, shallots, thyme, Parmesan cheese, and oil.
Pulse until the mushrooms are in small pieces and spreadable.
On a prepared 12 inch pizza crust, spread the mushroom pesto. Top with spinach, bacon, tomatoes, and cheeses.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is lightly browning.