I was out of the usual Mexican accompaniments (read: prepackaged Spanish rice) so I decided to make my own. It wasn’t hard at all. And I think I will keep it up. They have way more flavor than typical refried beans.
Smashed Black Beans with Jalapenos
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, mostly drained
- 1/8 cup bacon grease (I know, not healthy at all)
- 2 jalapenos, seeds and membranes removed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheese
In a saucepan, saute the jalapenos, garlic, onions, and spices until the garlic is very fragrant. Add in the black beans and heat until warm. On a large plate, smash small amounts of the beans with a heavy object (I used the bottom of a sturdy glass). Add smashed beans back into pan and heat. Top with cheese. Serves 2.