I got lucky this week. Snow peas and shiitake mushrooms on serious manager discount at the grocery! Think at least $5 savings!
Beef, Shiitake, and Snow Pea Stir-fry (a variation from Bon Appetit, Oct 2010)
- 1 lb stir fry steak
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 8 ounces snow peas
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced, divided
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and mushrooms; stir-fry until mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Add beef to skillet; stir-fry until beef browns but is still pink in center, about 1 minute. Add snow peas, orange pepper, half of green onions, and half of cilantro; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in hoisin, chili-garlic sauce, and five-spice powder; sauté until peas are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and cilantro.