Black eyed peas are tasty, a great source of protein, and cheap. I love them just about any way they are fixed. This salad is similar to Texas caviar but different. I think it is a new favorite. Be sure you try it!
Black-Eyed Pea Salad (a variation of a recipe by OKRA)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) of black-eyed peas, thoroughly rinsed (I love Gloryland brand)
- 3 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Rinse the black-eyed peas. Dice the celery, onion, and bell pepper into small cubes. Put the onion, celery, bell pepper, and black-eyed peas into the mixing bowl. Dress the salad with the vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.