Perfect to make for a quick supper or a tasty lunch. Full of protein and flavor, this pasta dish filled my craving for garlicy, savory yumminess. Next time I may add mushrooms and a bit of cream.
Sausage, Kale and White Bean Pasta (from TasteFood)
- 1 small bunch curly kale, tough ribs removed, torn in bite size pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound pasta, such as gemelli, fusilli, farfalle
- 16 ounces Italian sausages, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano cheese, divided
- Handful of Italian parsley, chopped
Place the kale, 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Toss the kale with your hands while rubbing the oil into the leaves. This will help to soften them. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain.
While the pasta is cooking heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown on both sides, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the beans, tomatoes, garlic, chili flakes, and black pepper. Cook, stirring once or twice until heated through, about 2 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust seasoning as needed. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the pasta, kale, half of the cheese and the parsley. Toss to combine. Add more cheese to taste and serve any extra with the pasta. Serves 6.