This is a sandwich that would make Dagwood proud. Beefy, porky, cheesy, and greasy. It’s not the boring ham and cheese on white bread sandwich that we all dread coming home to but it is almost as quick to assemble. I really like the cheddar sauce and plan to use it on other sandwiches. These would be a great thing to serve and your NCAA basketball championship party or similar such events.
Beef & Kielbasa Sandwiches with Sauteed Onions (via the Unorthodox Epicure)
- 1 lb deli roast beef, sliced very thinly
- 13 oz pkg kielbasa sausage, sliced about ½-inch thick
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 6 sandwich rolls, toasted
Cheddar Horseradish Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar, grated into fine shreds
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp louisiana-style hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a heavy bottomed skillet, saute the onions until starting to brown. Fry the sausage until lightly browned. In a bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Place in microwave for about 10-15 seconds, until cheese is melted. Whisk until totally combined and melted cheese is blended into sauce. To assemble the sandwiches, layer the onion, beef and sausage. Top with several dollops of the sauce. Makes about 6 sandwiches.