My absolute favorite meal at Olive Garden is Chicken Marsala with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes. I had never made this before but the challenge was exciting. The only special ingredient is the marsala wine. Not something I typically stock but I made the special purchase. I was glad I did! This turned out amazing! These recipes taste like you spent hours cooking. This is a good meal to serve to company.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – pounded 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine (DO NOT OMIT THIS INGREDIENT- it’s the star!)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or cooking sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a ziplock bag, combine flour, salt, pepper, and oregano. Add one piece of chicken at a time, shaking the bag to coat the chicken well. When all pieces are coated, melt butter in oil over medium heat in a skillet. After well heated, place chicken in pan, browning both sides. Before chicken is cooked through, add garlic and onion powder, mushrooms, wine, broth and cream. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serves 4 to 6.
Below is the roasted garlic in all it’s wonderfulness!
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chunked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice off the very top of the garlic head. Drizzle head with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place on a sheet tray and bake until tender and fragrant, roughly 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Remove the cloves and mash with a wooden spoon. Place potatoes in a large stockpot and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender and drain. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Meanwhile heat butter and cream until butter melts. Add the roasted garlic, potatoes, and milk and mash all together.Taste and season with salt and pepper.