This is one of my new favorite work night meals. The lemon, onion, and olives meld together with the chicken drippings to form a luscious gravy. And it’s even better the next day!
Braised Chicken Thighs with Garlic, Lemon, and Greek Olives (from here)
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (remove the excessive fat and skin)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds discarded
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup mixed Greek olives, pitted
- Juice of 1 lemon
Preheat the oven to 350°. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven large enough to hold all the thighs in a single layer, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken, skin-side down, and sear until golden brown. Add the garlic and flip the thighs over. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Add the onions, lemon slices and oregano. Season with more salt and pepper. Cook, until the onions have wilted and the juices have de-glazed the pan. Place the thighs skin-side up in the onion mixture; add the garlic and the olives. Pour the lemon juice over the chicken and put into the oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve. Serves 6.