Busy fall weekends full of football and pumpkin patches and hiking through the leaves needs a quick main dish that required only a bit of prep for a lot of flavor. This recipes gets you there…
Herb and Citrus Roasted Chicken (from the Comfort of Cooking)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 whole lemons, one juiced and one sliced
- 2 whole oranges, one juiced and one sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 lbs of chicken thighs (leave the bones and skin intact)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- Chopped fresh herbs), for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
Place chicken in a rimmed 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place parts skin side up and spread them out evenly in the pan. Pour olive oil mixture all over chicken, turning pieces to coat all sides. (If you marinated the chicken in this mixture, still add it all in). Arrange slices of lemon, orange and onion around and under the chicken. Sprinkle all over generously with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. Remove parts to a serving platter and garnish with additional chopped fresh herbs, if desired. Serves 8.